Oakton Elementary School History
Oakton School, as well as Oakton Street that it is located on, is named after the estate of Edward Mulford.
In 1836, Major Edward Mulford, his wife Rebecca and family came to Chicago from the east. One of the first white settlers in the area, they purchased 160 acres from the U.S. Government, land that was taken from the Native Americans after they fought a war known as the “Blackhawk Indian War” in 1832. Mulford called his estate “Oakton” after the oak trees that flourished in this area.
When Oakton School was built, it was the pride of Evanston — a large, modern school with many amenities, including an auditorium. It was built on a five-acre site and the intention was to add to the building as needed over time. Dwight Perkins, the chief architect, believed that a school needed to be a part of the neighborhood in which it stood, and that it should offer not only a place for children to learn but also provide a meeting place for area residents. An assembly hall, playground, theater, various entries and exits, etc. were all components that made the school useful to students, teachers, and all the people of the neighborhood.
The school’s exterior is brick with stone trim. Inside, the school has beautiful details, such as maple and oak floors, carved woodwork, mosaic and marble work, as well as murals.
The school boasts artwork throughout the building, including murals painted in the 1930s by WPA (Works Projects Administration) artists and also some work done earlier. Beginning in 1995 and occurring on and off through 2007, extensive restoration work was done on the school’s artwork and murals.
The D65 School History project is the result of a partnership with Evanston History Center. This research was completed by the Evanston History Center's Jenny Thompson, PhD.
School History
Interested in the history of other District 65 schools?
Chute Middle School, originally named Oscar M. Chute Junior High, opened in 1966.
Dawes School is named after U.S. Vice President General Charles G. Dawes.
Dewey Elementary School was the first school in Evanston to have a kindergarten.
In 2004 Dr. Bessie Rhodes became the first Black woman to have a school named after her in Evanston.
The original King Lab was located in what is now Family Focus.
Ellen Foster, the first principal, viewed the school as a community hub.
Haven Middle School was initially built to serve students from two school districts.
Joseph E. Hill became Evanston's first Black superintendent of schools in 1975.
Namesake Homer Kingsley started the first Evanston public school kindergarten in 1882.
In the 1890s, children voted to name their new school "Lincoln" after the U.S. President.
The name incorporates nearby geographical features: Lincoln Street and a wooded area.
Frederick Nichols worked closely with the architect to create a school full of treasures.
Oakton is home to murals created by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930s.
Orrington's site was previously home to a Potawatomi village and burial ground.
The predecessor to Park School was established in 1949 by a group of parents.
The school was named after Chicago-area philanthropists Daniel and Ada Rice.
Walker opened to address rising enrollment due to the baby boom generation.
The yellow brick building on the corner of Main and Ashland is the original school.
The school was named after world-renowned social reformer Frances Willard.
